Help to Buy and Shared Ownership are both fantastic government led schemes that were introduced to help people get a foot on to the property ladder.

 

Generally, there can be a bit of confusion surrounding the two schemes. That's why we have put together this table and video below to help distinguish between the two schemes.

You can view full articles on Help to Buy and Shared Ownership our website.

If you are interested in either of these schemes and would like to know if they are available at your preferred development, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. Simply find your development here, and fill out the contact form at the bottom of the page. The sales team will get back to you as soon as possible.

Help to Buy vs Shared Ownership comparison table

Help to Buy Shared Ownership
A 20% equity loan from the Government is provided to help you purchase. Enables you to purchase a share of your home, usually between 25-75%.
For the first 5 years, this equity loan is interest-free. Afterwards, you pay the interest amount per month. Rent is paid on remaining share. i.e.: if you purchase 75% of the property’s value, you pay rent on the remaining 25%.
No maximum household income. Your household must earn less than £80,000 to be eligible for this scheme.
Can only be used on New Build homes up to £600,000. Can be used on new and existing homes.
Cannot own another home - if you already have a home you must be in the process of selling it. Cannot own another home – if you do, you must be in the process of selling it.
You will own 100% of your home when the mortgage is paid off. You can increase the amount you own gradually by purchasing more shares until you own 100% of the property – this is called stair-casing.

Watch the video below to discover more...

discover our full range of buying options

Find out more

Our developments

At Places for People we create homes to meet your needs.

Whether it's a one-bedroom city apartment on a historic site in central Edinburgh, or a large family home in the peaceful Wiltshire countryside, we have a fantastic range of homes to choose from.